The High Falls EcoDistrict is the First Registered EcoDistrict in the State of New York!
Collaborative Sustainability for Collective Impact
The High Falls EcoDistrict is a conceptual FRAMEWORK to reimagine our community and design a VIBRANT URBAN DISTRICT which emphasizes economic, social and environmental equity. The EcoDistrict will be a model for ambitious sustainability standards grounded in EQUITY, RESILIENCE and CLIMATE PROTECTION.
It will be an incubator for innovative green technologies and inspire a new narrative of Rochester’s cultural identity. We intend to increase our efficacy by collaboratively working towards holistic sustainability at the neighborhood scale.
By centering the EcoDistrict on the Falls, we are reminded of our history as a city and the natural asset that gave Rochester it’s beginning. This UNIQUE URBAN ECOSYSTEM and history of clean, hydro energy will serve as an inspiration and catalyst for a future of sustainable urban design.
- Neighborhoods and districts are the building blocks of sustainable cities.
- Everybody – regardless of class, race, age, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation – deserves to live in a healthy, safe, connected and vibrant neighborhoods.
- Economic opportunity, community well-being, and ecological health are fundamental ingredients for sustainable neighborhoods and cities.
- Neighborhood sustainability requires a new model for action – rooted in collaboration and greater inclusion – to co-create innovative district-scale projects.
- Social equity, inclusion, and democracy are essential to sustainable neighborhood development.